The EU Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Southern Africa (EU Chamber) and Business Unity South Africa (BUSA) will co-host an online business seminar on localization policy on Wednesday 4 August 2021.
The objectives of the event include:
- Present recent research on the impact of proposed localisation and import substitution policies, conducted by Intellidex on behalf of BUSA and Business Leadership South Africa (BLSA).
- Share lessons on the experience of local content requirements implemented in the renewable energy and manufacturing sectors in South Africa. Relevant research has been undertaken by the EU-SA Partners for Growth project and the Centre for Competition, Regulation and Economic Development (CCRED).
- Highlight relevant experience and lessons from other countries.
- Provide insight into the link between localisation policy and the investment climate in South Africa.
- Highlight investment and trade activities of European companies in South Africa.
10h00 – Welcome by President of the EU Chamber, Mr. Rui Marto
10h05 – Presentations on experiences of localisation policy in South Africa:
- Mr. Peter Attard Montalto, Intellidex
- Ms. Lauralyn Kaziboni, DNA Economics
- Mr. Peter Leon, Partner & Africa Co-Chair, Herbert Smith Freehills
10h50 – International Experience with local content requirements – Dr. Philipp Lamprecht, Senior Economist, ECIPE
11h05 – Localisation and the investment climate – input from a European investor
11h15 – Q & A Session/Participation from Virtual Audience
11h25 – Final remarks by Cas Coovadia, CEO of BUSA
11h30 – Closure
Facilitator: Ms. Pamina Bohrer, Vice President of the EU Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Southern Africa
Date and venue: Wednesday 4 August – 10.00 – 11.30 – ZOOM
Registration: please follow this link: